Tuesday 7 February 2012

Heavenly Creamy Caramels

I made a batch of these yesterday.  And are they ever good!  These were so easy to make, too. This is going into my cook book for sure!  They're so soft, chewy and taste soooo good!  I think the flavor beats store bought ones, plus the softness of them makes them irresistible.  



Chewy Caramels.

1 1/2 cups heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Prepare an  8" X 8" pan by buttering it (make sure to get the sides), and lining the bottom in parchment paper.

In a heavy bottomed medium pot, mix Whipping Cream, Sugar, and Salt.  On medium-high heat place pot, and stir constantly so sugars dissolve until it comes to a boil.

Stop stirring, clip Candy thermometer onto side of pot, and let it boil until it comes to a temperature of 245 degrees F or 118 C.  Keep a close eye on the temperature. DO NOT STIR!  If crystals form along edge of pot, use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush the crystals back down.  Also don't use a metal spoon to stir it or crystals may form in the caramel.  Use a wooden spoon, or I used my silicone spatula.

As soon as it hits 245F, remove from heat and stir in Vanilla.  Pour into prepared pan.

Let sit for about 8 hours until it has set.

Remove from pan, with a knife that has been oiled with a non tasting oil (you might have to wash and re-oil your knife a few times while cutting) cut into small squares (around 48).  Space them out on parchment paper in an air tight container, or wrap individually in Heavy cellophane or foil, to give out as gifts.  Stores at Room temperature for several days (if they last that long!)

Now, I was going to make another batch, sprinkle chopped pecans on the bottom of the pan, pour the caramel over them, then cube and dip into chocolate.  I think these would taste like heaven.  But unfortunately when I put my pot and candy thermometer in the sink to soak for a few minutes, someone came along and bumped my thermometer and it broke.  (So don't forget to be very careful with your thermometer.)  Now we'll have to wait a few days until I get another thermometer before we can see if the addition of pecans and chocolate tastes as good in my mouth as it does in my mind.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my those look wonderful! I'll have to get myself a candy thermometer and try them out. I love caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Joan! I just made up another batch. I spread coarsely chopped pecans on the bottom of the pan, and poured the hot caramel over that. When it set, I cut it into squares, dipped them in melted chocolate and topped it with a half a pecan. So, so, SO good! Reminds me of Turtles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow these sound and look so good...no wonder with whipping cream for the main ingredient!
      Love the photos too Jen!

      Delete
  3. Thanks! These are quite creamy. The cream along with the sweetness, and salt go together sooooo well. I took some to town with my friend and we were eating them in her vehicle while we were waiting for the cable car, and she asked what was in them. I just said, "You don't want to know. Just enjoy them!"

    ReplyDelete