Saturday 5 May 2012

Donair Recipe


Today, seems like the perfect day to stay inside and make Donairs!  So I thought I would share the recipe as well as the recipes for Halifax Sweet Sauce and Tzatziki Sauce... after all, what is a donair with out the saucy goodness?

There was a place not to long ago that made donairs in Terrace, but from what friends and family told me who tried them and mine, my recipe is better.  I used to work in a donair stop about 13 years ago.  I loved them and had to find some way to fulfill that craving when the shop closed.


Donair Meat
3 lbs Lean Hamburger 
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 -2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 Oregano
3 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Salt
*sometimes I add bit extra spice.

Combine all ingredients, and knead for 20 minutes (yes, I actually do this).  Shape into 2 tightly formed loaves.  I use wax paper to help form the loaves.  I guess they are more log shaped.  Try not to leave air pockets in the meat.  Bake on broiler pan for 2-2 1/2 hours at 300* until done.  Cool.  Slice thin and reheat.  I sometimes (ok, most of the time), cant resist and slice off a sample or 2 before it is cool.  Just try and resist the smell.

Donair meat made into loaves and on a broiler pan.

Donair meat cooked.  Depending on the fat content in your meat, it will shrink up some.  

Sweet Donair Sauce (aka Halifax Sweet Sauce)
2/3 cup Canned Milk
2/3 cup Sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic

Stir milk, sugar and garlic powder ;until sugar is dissolved.  Slowly add vinegar a tiny bit at a time, while stirring slowly, until thickened.  Let sit 1 hour in fridge before serving.

Tzatziki Sauce

1/2 long English Cucumber
salt for sprinkling
2 cups plain yogurt
2 tsp vinegar
2 small cloves garlic pressed (I sometimes add a bit extra depending on the clove size.)
1 tbsp minced Dill (you can use dried)
salt and pepper to taste

Grate cucumber.  Place in colander and sprinkle lightly with salt and let stand for 30 minutes to pull out excess water.  Rinse and press dry between paper towel.  Whisk yogurt until smooth.  Stir in vinegar, grated cuc, garlic and dill.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve chilled.  Makes 2 1/12 cups.  This is an awesome dip to go with garlic pita, or garlic cheese pita.  YUM.

*Save a bit of time by first heating the meat a bit in the micro wave or wrapping the sliced stuff in tinfoil and heating it in the oven ahead of time.

Ok, so now
Things to put on your Donairs.
Pita or those mini pizza shells, or I love Nann bread.
Mozza Cheese,
Feta Cheese
Tomatoes
Onions
Peppers
Cucumbers
Hot banana peppers... it could go on and on...

So usually I wet the pita with water so it doesn't dry out to much, put it on a cookie sheet with some meat and cheese (mozza and feta) heat in oven until the cheese is melted. Then toss on some veggies and sauce of your choice.  Wrap it sort of like a burrito in tinfoil to keep the stuffing's and sauce from making to big of a mess.  Close your eyes, take a big bite, spit out tinfoil and enjoy.  Ok, just don't bite the tin foil.  (I like to spoon my sauce on as I eat it.)

Donairs waiting to go into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

All wrapped up and ready to eat!

Donair with Tzatziki on the left and Halifax Sweet Sauce on the right.

It's usually a big deal when I make them, because most of the family wants some and of course I like to share with friends.  We have a donair day.

I just want to add that you can use other meats besides ground beef.  We use moose meat quite often and it is awesome.  It does tend to be a little lean though, so you may want to add a little oil to your meat.  Today I am trying a mixture of Moose and some of our own Pork. 

No comments:

Post a Comment