Thursday 7 June 2012

Blueberry Scones

Who doesn't love a good Blueberry Scone nice and hot out of the oven.  These are so quick and easy to make.  Perfect in the morning or to throw on just before someone comes over to tea.  


Blueberry Scones

2 Cups Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Butter
1 Cup of Blueberries
1 Egg
2/3 Cup Milk

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Add butter and cut in a pastry cutter until crumbly.  Stir in Blueberries.  Make a well in the center.

In a small bowl, beat egg until frothy with a fork, and add the milk to the egg, giving it another quick beat to mix it.  Pour the liquid into the center of the well in the dry ingredients and stir it with the fork to form a soft dough.  I do it gently not to pop the blueberries.

Turn out onto a floured surface and give a gentle knead about 8 times.  I do this right in the bowl I mixed the dough in to save myself the mess.  Since I use blueberries in it I try and be very careful and gentle so I don't pop them.  

Divide dough into 2 equal portions and pat each one into a 6 inch circle.  You can flour your hands if the dough is sticky.  Transfer to a greased baking sheet.  Brush with cream or milk.  If you like you can sprinkle sugar over the top (or you can wait until it comes out of the oven and you could drizzle a glaze over it while it is still hot).  Score like a pie (I do 6 pieces).

Bake at 425* for 15 minutes until golden brown and risen.

I like ours with a Vanilla Glaze over top.  Just mix some icing sugar with a drop or two of vanilla and water and stir it until it is smooth, then when your scones come out of the oven, drizzle it over them while it's hot and it will dry on them.  Sometimes the kids also enjoy it if I use lemon juice in the glaze instead of water and vanilla.  Gives it a bit of a tang.  If you like, you can either use fresh or frozen blueberries.  Which ever you have at hand.  The original recipe I had called for 1/2 cup currants in it.  But once I tried blueberries there was no going back.  The Blueberries were a hit.

Perfect to share with a friend.


2 comments:

  1. I want to come for tea!
    But I will have to bake some myself instead, thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete