Last night, I unplugged the incubator and carried it into the darkest room in my house at night (The bathroom), to do a little candling.
For Candling I use my big Mega Light. I don't have a Candler yet, but this seems to work ok. Some eggs I find hard to see through, like dark shelled eggs, and the Easter Egger Eggs.
When I candle, I shine the light through the fat end of the egg, and sort of rotate the egg and tilt it a bit to see what's going on in there. At this stage, you can see blood vessles, and a dark shape in there. As I watched I could see the dark shape moving around. It's pretty neat, and gets more exciting as the eggs grow. Candling can be addictive.
So This is what I had, and what I have now.
Started with: Fertile:
6 Easter Eggers 3(?) Easter Eggers (the shells are hard to see though, so I left them all in)
11 Phyllis Diller (Polish X Frizzle) 8 Phyllis Diller
10 Cochin 8 Cochin
6 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte 5 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
9 Polish 7 Polish
4 Silkie X 0
4 Silkie 2 Silkie
So, I'm not sure what happened with the Silkie X's. I had a bantam cochin X in with Rotten Ronnie, and he was giving it for all he was worth with her and the little silkie. I know that perhaps I should have given a few days more before I started collecting eggs (for all the breeds), so the first ones I collected didn't surprise me about not being fertile.
I was most surprised to see that the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs were growing. I really wasn't expecting it. My roo got so frost bit this winter on his feet that I thought it would make mating hard for him. But I guess where there is a will there is a way, and Frosty is able to do his job. I'm really excited about this!
After I candled, I filled all of the water trays back up, put the incubator back on the turner and got it going again.
In my last post I was having temperature troubles. Well, I turned the temperature up a bit at a time, until it reached a good temperature. It seems to be holding quite well now. I'm not sure why it had the drop, but I hope it stays good now. As for the clicking, I tried the vaseline on the pin that holds the incubator, and haven't heard a click since! I am really, really happy about this!